Saturday, November 20, 2010

It's Potty Time!

Someday she'll kill me for posting this....but look at this proud face!!!
Yesterday, I woke up and was informed, "I not wearin diapers anymore.  I just wearin my underwears, Mama."  So began our quest to potty train the wee lady in the house.  I wasn't really emotionally prepared for this, to say the least, but Anna is nothing if not determined to have her way.  I thought maybe I'd wait until Christmas Break so I wouldn't have to tote her around in the car so much while she was still getting the hang of "holding it".  No dice.  I keep thinking that it is I, the mother, who sets the rules around here (and F whenever he shows up), but then I am humbled and put in my place by the real powers around here.  Namely, 2 year olds who announce they are now big girls.  I decided to roll with it and see where this adventure would take us.
The first thing we had to do was hit Target to get some more motivational underwear (Ni-Hao Kai-lan is a favorite, as well as Diego underpants...Anna doesn't want to pee on them...she also selected Fancy Nancy while Mikey picked Thomas the Train).  This trip was complicated by the fact that we would get down an aisle and then she'd get a mildly panicked look on her little cherub face and whisper urgently, "I hafta pee, Mama!"  So we'd run to the bathroom (while Mikey sprinted after us).  It is a big deal to go on the big toilet so you can imagine the big deal it was for her to use a big toilet in a public place.  I told her if she did it, I'd get her a new car.  So she did.  Well, once Mikey saw she was getting toys for peeing on the potty, he became infinitely more interested in the whole process.  Enter Mikey into the fray, wearing his little thomas underpants...except poor little man, he doesn't quite get the order of operations and keeps sitting on the potty without pulling his pants down first.  By the end of the day, he kind of got it.  F said, "Men seem to have been born desperately trying to catch up with the ladies."
 Nobody wore a diaper to bed last night and the beds were dry this morning.  Anna had a hard time making it to the proper place this morning, so while her sheets were dry, her pants (and the 2 pairs of underwear she insisted on wearing to bed last night) were soaked through.  She was so upset about it.  Cute!  I convinced M-dog to put on a pull-up over his underpants to try to contain the leakage and that seemed to have worked in my favor.  Of course, in anticipation for the accidents I was convinced would happen, I didn't have a restful night.  Oh well.
So, now, day 2 of Operation No More Diapers.  So far, no accidents.  Of course, it is only 8:30 am.  I'll keep you posted.  Wish us luck.

1 comment:

  1. You can do it! Mine have been full up since August and it's so nice not having any diapers to deal with (for 2 more mths anyway). We keep a potty in the truck and they use that instead of the public ones, they make me cringe.

    ReplyDelete