I've been a mother of three children for FOUR YEARS now and I actually survived! I can't believe it! We've done a lot this weekend, so I'm trying to get back into my thoughtful mode as I write this so that I can say something profound or touching or something like that on the day of their birth! First, let's look back and remember how they started, shall we?
![]() |
| Old Man Winter...he was too teeny tiny to eat...he kept falling asleep because it took too much energy out of him... |
![]() |
| We should have named him Skeletor...but this was when he was a month old and had fattened up a bit...imagine how scary he looked head-on as a newborn! |
![]() |
| She looks different without eyebrows, no? |
![]() |
| Proof that they were already plotting against me... |
So here are a few thoughts (before I forget them) about my babies (and I will call them babies probably until they start having babies themselves in about 25 or 30 years): 1. Having litters of small babies is physically easier than having one gigantic baby. L was a gigantic baby...I felt like I had been run over five times by a semi-truck and had a hard time walking for a couple weeks. With the twins, I was up and at it feeling awesome a couple hours later. Of course, the downside to having two babies is that you then have two babies and it's a LOT more work. Forever. 2. People say stupid stuff because of babies. This is definitely worse when you have twins. Nobody has any problem asking if you took fertility medications five seconds after you meet them (before they even know your name, in fact). Try not to judge them too harshly even when you want to punch them in the face. 3. No matter how scared you are that you can't handle it or that you won't make it another day with all these children without screaming, crying, and packing your stuff for your escape to Mexico, you will make it. And you will love it more than anything else in your life.
A long time ago, I didn't think I wanted kids at all. And then I had 3 in 2 1/2 years. When I found out we were having twins, I said something that wasn't printable in any family magazine in this country (in my defense, F was in Iraq and L stopped sitting down to rest or nap and started getting up at 4:30 am...for the day)....Four years later, I am constantly bowled over by a feeling of gratefulness for my crazy, hectic, energetic, LOUD family.
My daughter is strong-minded, determined,
Little Mikey-Mike...I smile to see him today, remembering how small and sleepy he was when he was born. When they put him on my chest I remembered thinking he looked exactly like L, only like a half his size. He was a quiet baby, too weak to nurse, I had to strip him down and put cold cloths on him to keep him awake long enough to eat. For a while there, he looked like a fuzzy-headed and bewildered chicken! (Also, his skin folded in big wrinkles like it was a suit two sizes too big...much like a tree frog I saw in one of L's animal encyclopedias) It took him a month to realize that if he screamed bloody murder like his twin sister, he would be fed first!!!!! Now look at him! He's like a Labrador puppy. Ninety percent of the time, his pants are on backwards and his shoes are on the wrong feet, but he's determined to do things "my own self!" He is kind-ish...sometimes he is rough, but he doesn't mean to hurt people, he's just enthusiastic. As my friend said, you never saw a kid more determined and focused on his school work...she said he could dig to China with a spoon if he set his mind to it. He is joyful, joyful! The world is full of beauty and fascination...and he appreciates it all. I said it before and I'll say it again: Nothing is as carefree and happy as a 3 year old who skips everywhere he goes.
I guess I should end by saying this: I am lucky, lucky, lucky. I hope I can stop more to appreciate this life, the vitality they give me by needing me and believing that my kisses are magically healing. To the twins, what I hope for you is a lifetime of happiness and joy, of work you find stimulating and rewarding, of people who add love and light to your path...may you always be surrounded by the love I have found by choosing to be your mother...everything that is beautiful and true is in you and your brother...I love you now and forever.....






No comments:
Post a Comment